The name propolis comes from resinous substances that bees make from different substances present in some trees. In most cases, it comes from buds, flowers, and resins. Bees are responsible for their production and transport in beehives.
Bees use it as a building material and to protect the hive from possible invasion by predators or pathogens. Depending on the plants they come from, its appearance may vary. Its color can vary from golden brown or darker tones, and its texture may also be different.
Because its nutritional composition is very high, propolis has many properties: antiseptic, anti-inflammatory, antioxidant, antifungal, antibacterial and immunomodulatory.
The benefits of propolis are the following:
- Parasitic infections and other digestive problems. Many people know that propolis is an effective antiviral, it can inhibit the growth and adhesion of parasites. It is also used to combat gastroduodenal ulcers and gastritis.
- Oral health. In the oral cavity, there are many bacteria. If it grows larger than normal, it can cause different oral diseases. Its role is to diminish the formation of the dental plate and protect against periodontitis. If you want to heal the wounds in your mouth, I recommend that you wash your mouth with propolis. Using a propolis toothpaste is one of the best formulas for good dental hygiene.
- Skin. Many cream manufacturers use propolis as a very important ingredient. Due to its allergic capacity, propolis is recommended for sensitive skin. It benefits from anti-inflammatory and antimicrobial effects and accelerates the formation of collagen. This will help us to heal wounds, wounds or ulcers; and to treat problems like dermatitis, psoriasis, acne, eczema, etc.
- Respiratory problems. Propolis can also be used as a preventive treatment for airway problems. We refer to influenza, bronchitis, colds, hoarseness, pharyngitis or laryngitis. It can be taken in combination with echinacea, to strengthen the immune system. And next to plantain, pine buds, sundew or marsh to soften the mucous membranes and as an expectorant.
- Urinary tract problems. It has a very good effect in the treatment of cystitis, nephritis, urethritis, and prostatitis because it is a powerful antiseptic and antiviral.